The name is earned. In 1831 a Captain Prince brought heifers and a bull from the Isle of Guernsey to the island, making Cow Island the recorded first home of Guernsey cattle in America. The herd grew to about 40 head, the island ran as a working dairy farm, and older records know it by its alternate name, Guernsey Island. It had been formally annexed to Tuftonboro in 1799, and an 1880 Boston and Lowell Railroad pamphlet describes it in its farming era, given over entirely to sheep and cattle.
Even earlier, shortly after the War of 1812, Paul Pillsbury raised a three-story wind-powered grist mill on the island's highest point, its heavy timbers hewn on the mainland and hauled across the frozen lake by hand. The mill ground flour and cattle feed for roughly 90 years until a storm took it down around 1902; in 1935 the New Hampshire Guernsey Breeders Association built a replica on the same site using some of the original pieces.
From 1891 into the 1970s, a 200-acre stretch of the island was Camp Idlewild, a private boys camp and one of the longest-running in the country: horses barged over from Harilla Landing, mail delivered by the Sophie C. For years Back Cove also held the lake's best-kept dining secret, the reservation-only island restaurant known first as Gus' Lodge and later as Mama Lucy's. The camp grounds became a residential association, and today's cottages carry that summer-camp legacy quietly.
Drawn from Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society accounts and the 1880 Boston and Lowell Railroad pamphlet "Winnipesaukee and About There."